It’s World Kindness Day today, what better day to share what kindness looks like, MGF style. This is a #boxofkindness (more accurately, #boxesandothercontainersofkindness but it’s not as catchy).
A collection thoughtful gifts offered in response to one Gin Funder’s sharing of a situation she’s found herself in and is struggling with. Her description of the dilemma she was facing tugged at the heartstrings of lots of our members. Timing meant that it wasn’t possible to address the dilemma she’d written about but that sort of obstacle is no match for the parents of MGF and their desire to ensure there’s #nomumleftbehind.
And so, although she wasn’t aware of it, thanks to a bit of jiggery-pokery with settings, the #boxofkindness was started. Treats, practical products, games, breakfast supplies, Pritt Sticks, beauty advent calendars, activities vouchers, cash for train fares, tickets to films, gift cards for shops, book tokens, face masks, a voucher for a family meal out and a whole host of other goodies began to arrive at the home of one of MGF’s admins.
Less than five days after the Gin Funder shared her story, we surprised her with the #boxofkindness Mummy’s Gin Fund kindness doesn’t always come in a box though! For us, this month is #knowvember.
The idea is simple. For a whole week, we will be hosting a daily pop up ‘Meet & Treat’ event at venues across Gin Territory. We want you to bring your babies, toddlers, children, friends or self to one of our super friendly and yummy cafes / pubs and join us for a drink and a chat (that’s the meet part).
We would also love for you to bring an UNWRAPPED present for someone in need this Christmas (that’s the treat). At the end of the week, the gifts will be collected and donated to The Her Centre, Woolwich for their Christmas party.
ABOUT THE HER CENTRE:
ABOUT THE TREAT:
- New gifts only please
- No minimum spend – a bar of chocolate or a £10 gift set are both equally welcome (max £15 per gift please)
- Please DO NOT WRAP your gift
- No cash please (this can be donated to The Her Centre separately – donate £5 by texting HERS11£5 to 70070)
- Nothing that requires batteries or other replaceable parts please
- Some meet-ups need a ticket – please check the flyer.
- Babies and children welcome – please try to bring a sling / small pushchair if you can to save pram space.
- Mums, dads, carers, grandparents, childminders, friends all equally welcome.
- For the pub meet-ups and cream tea, turn up and leave at any time in the slot, you don’t need to stay for the whole time.
- Please try to bring the gift listed on the date you have chosen – this helps us to keep a good ratio of gifts (don’t worry if you can’t).
- Please come on your own if you have no-one to come with. That’s the whole point of the event. There will always be someone from MGF there, so you won’t be Billy No Mates!
- If you cannot come to one of our Meet & Treat events, you can drop a gift to either St Georges MOT Centre, 8-10 George Lane, Lewisham (down the bottom of George Lane, near the hospital) Mon – Fri 9-5 or Truly Splendid Tearoom, Abbotshall Healthy Living Centre, Abbotshall Heallthy Lifestyle Centre, Abbotshall Rd, Catford SE6 1SQ – Mon – Fri – 9.30-2.30pm.
Monday 20th November – 09.30-11.30am – Little Bananas Stay and Play, St Augustines Church Hall, 336 Baring Rd, Grove Park, SE12 0DX. Hosted by Julie and Vicky. Please bring unwrapped treats for BABIES. £2 entry – normal price £6. Booking recommended – tickets here: www.mummysginfund.co.uk/events
Tuesday 21st November – 1-2.30pm – MGF Cream Tea – Truly Splendid Vintage Tea Rooms, Abbotshall Healthy Living Centre, Abbotshall Rd , Catford, SE6 1SQ. Hosted by Jenni. Please bring unwrapped treats for TODDLERS. Only £3.95. Booking essential – tickets here: www.mummysginfund.co.uk/events
Wednesday 22nd November – 1-3pm – The Station Hotel, Hither Green (the pub on the corner of Staplehurst Road and Leahurst Road). Up on the raised platform at the back of the pub by the loos). Hosted by Stevie. Please bring unwrapped treats for CHILDREN AGED 5-11. Just turn up.
Wednesday 22nd November – 8pm onwards – The Crown Tavern, 117 Burnt Ash Hill (in the high backed seats next to the fireplace – come in through the main door and turn left, keep walking round towards the loos). Hosted by Sally. Please bring unwrapped treats for CHILDREN AGED 11-17. Just turn up.
Thursday 23rd November – 11-2pm – The Alexandra Pub – 163 Parish Lane, Penge, SE20 7JH. Please bring unwrapped treats for TEENAGERS. Just turn up.
Friday 24th November – 10-10.45am – Singalong Sally, Bellingham Leisure Centre, 5 Randlesdown Rd, London SE6 3BT (where Rascals soft play is). Please bring unwrapped treats for ADULT WOMEN. Half price entry – £2.50, normal price £5. Booking essential – tickets here: www.mummysginfund.co.uk/events
There will be lovely, smiley MGF members waiting to meet and greet you at every venue so don’t worry about coming alone or part way through. Everyone is welcome.
YOU ARE ALSO WELCOME TO BRING A GIFT TO ANY OF THE #KNOWVEMBER EVENTS OR THE CHRISTMAS PARTY.
Warm hat and mittens
Baby sleeping bag
Football (bear in mind there may be limited access to outdoor space)
White board and marker pens
Pretend food / pots / pans
Fancy dress such as Drs kit or similar
Warm hat, scarf and gloves
Colouring pencils and colouring book (with a pencil sharpener)
Fun / appropriate toiletries like sparkly soap (bear in mind that the family may have no access to a bath / shower)
Lego / mega blocks
Hat / scarf / gloves
Food selection box: posh biscuits, nice tea, chocolate, cake, etc.
More basic food hamper including staple foods such as pasta, tinned fruit / veg, herbs and spices, etc.
Vouchers for shops that sell food and clothes. Tesco would be ideal, but M&S, Sainsbury’s etc. would be great too.