A healthy but decadent dish, just leave out the bacon for an equally fabulous vegetarian main.
Ingredients – For the pastry (or use shop bought)
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 140g butter, roughly cubed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2-3 tbsp water
Ingredients – For the filling
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into smallish florets (I used a Romanesco cauliflower for extra drama).
- 100g bacon, roughly chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 284ml carton double cream
- 175g/6oz cheese, finely grated (combine two or three of the following: parmesan, cheddar and gruyère or emmental)
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- Good grating of nutmeg
Directions – For the pastry
Top tip; have a pastry baking session and keep the home made, blind baked pastry cases in the freezer for speedy midweek suppers. No need to defrost, just fill and bake!